Wednesday, November 17, 2010

11-15-10

Yahoo! Mail

Updates occur every 1440 minutes.

My Family,
Okay so this week was pretty epic, and it has absolutely nothing to do with missionary work. It was Elder Mortensens year mark and because Elder Katoa is a Tongan we bought a huge pig for a feast. Elder Katoa killed the big with a stick and a tiny pocket knife, that guy is crazy. Then we cleaned it and gutted it, threw it on a stick and cooked it over a fire that we made behind our place. It took about three hours to cook, and the whole time we had to stand there and rotate the pig so that it cooked nicely. Then we brought it in the house and set it on the table (we even had palm leaves for the full affect to set on the table) and then we chomped for a solid hour. In all we had a lot of pineapple, a lot of yam, and stew and lots of minerals(soda pop) and the pig. It fed about 10 of us. It was so goooood!!!!!! It was the first time we have had a lot of meat so we ate until we couldn't eat anymore. It was awesome. I want to do it when I go home cuz it is so sweet!

Okay, so as for missionary related activities this week I went to the specialized leadership training where ZL and DL were instructed by President on how to improve our teaching skills and leadership abilities. We talked a lot about being a good leader and how we need to raise ourselves to a higher level of obedience and discipline, and how we need to work extra hard so that the other missionaries will have a good example to look to. The rest of the time we discussed about how to recognize and follow the spirit and how to invite someone to be baptized in the very first lesson. It was very interesting. It is actually a world wide thing that they are doing with every mission. But we learned a lot of cool and stuff and then we did some role play. Something that I never truly understood was that the spirit can guide us and lead us even when we are doing role play and practicing together. It sounds crazy but that is what the 12 have said, and when we practiced together in certain situations I was actually lead by the spirit to address a certain concern or to say something that I never would have thought of. The spirit is difficult to recognize sometimes, and it was so cool, you can actually practice learning how to recognize it. Then at the very end we went through 3 Nephi 11 together and talked about the doctrine of Christ. I never realized just how much is really in that chapter about baptism. It is interesting that the very 1st thing Christ teaches is baptism when he appears to the Nephites and it is also interesting to note that there are only 2 other times where Heavenly Father introduced his son and you heard his voice (to Joseph Smith and when Christ was baptized) One other thing that is interesting is to look and see when Christ repeats himself. If he does that it must be important. I don't know it was an interesting training, but a real eye opener. So that is just a small taste of how those training meeting go if that helps at all.

So this week we put into practice some of the things that I learned from the training. And it sure did help. We asked our investigator named Belinda Eghan that I told you about to commit to be baptized, and without any hesitation she said yes! It was the most confident I have ever heard anyone agree to be baptized. She is totally ready. I am 100 percent sure that she will be baptized in 2 weeks. We are looking forward to that. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Oh and she talks in the exact same voice that Whitney always talks in, that annoying baby voice haha, totally reminded me of that the first time I heard her speak. As for the orphanages and stuff like that I really don't know. You have to understand that I am in a poor fishing village practically isolated from the entire world and I don't know anything about adoptions or AIDS. The only thing I hear about is when the fishing is good, or when it sucks, ha. But I will try and do some research this week and ask about it, I am sure I will be able to find out something. I will ask Brother Pratt in the ward, we’re tight and he would probably know. Bro Pratt has applied to go to BYU and will be going I think around the time that I come home, so you will probably get to meet him because I will definitely want to see him. Just a little heads up. Well church this week wasn't very good, we had 18 people total at sacrament meeting. We had a huge thunder storm Sat night and Sun morning so nobody came to church. It was pretty bad. I did confirm one of our recent converts on Sunday so that was sweet, his name is Jacob he’s a stud. This week is Stake conference and some of our investigators will receive that Melchizedek priesthood so that will be awesome and we also have Zone Conference tomorrow. Gunna be a good week. Well I am not sure what else to write. I know I am leaving out all kinds of things, so just go read Elder Browns blog he types really fast and he loves writing so it will have a lot more stuff I am sure. I love you all and thanks for all the emails this week. I knew if I said something you would all write. Thanks a bunch and I am glad you are all doing well. Take care until next week.
Much love,
Elder Adams


No comments:

Post a Comment