Monday, March 22, 2010

Pay Day Letters

(The letters home are dated 3/3/10) In our Ward we refer to the good things our kids do a s "pay days" They make up for some of the things our kids may have done in the past! These are excerpts from Garrett's letters home. No I did not make any of this up!

Dear Mom,
My dearest mother whom I love so much! How are you? I hope all is well and that everyone is obeying you! You are the Boss! I can say that now because you can't come after me:) Basketball is over...see the blessings really are coming. Ha Ha JK.
I wrote separate letters so I could tell you each some things. I just wanted to tell you what a great mother you are. The best mom in the whole world. You have taught me so much I can't even try to explain. I am thankful to be blessed with good parents who taught me about God our Father and Jesus Christ. Without you in my life I wouldn't be out here doing what I am. I wouldn't be a missionary, so Thank You!
My new companion is from Las Vegas. I told you about him in the email. He is a cool kid. I'm excited to serve with him. My area is awesome, crazy and hectic. It is a great combination.
I got the care package. I was so excited and ate most of the food that day. It is almost gone now, but it tasted so good, I gained any weight I had lost right back. But man it was worth it. The jerky sticks were delicious:)
Washing clothes by hand is definitely not the same as having you wash them for me. My hands were bleeding and I have rashes on my wrist, but it is kinda fun I guess.
Now I just want to let you know you are in my prayers. I love you and I hope the blessings come. They will. I want you to know God lives and that he is watching over us, as long as we are obedient we will receive blessings. So keep up the good work and keep everyone in order. You're the best Mom a son could ask for. I love you with every beam of my heart.
Elder Adams

Dear Dad,
It is good to hear that everything is going well. I have been receiving so many letters from you and mom. That's awesome you get to go back to China again. Sounds like quite the experience. Well Ghana has been amazing so far. The MTC was a cool and very spiritual experience. But really it didn't prepare me for what was in store. I have learned 10 times more in my 1st week out. My new area is a tiny village on the beach. Mostly fisherman live and stay in Moree. In this tiny village live about 20,000 people. It is hectic! Most people live in clay or brick huts. There is not much of a drainage system. You just sit down and go wherever you want, so the town is covered in crap. It is quite smelly at 1st, but you get used to it. There are hundreds and hundreds of goats, chickens,dogs, cats, an other animals everywhere. They just roam the streets. You don't put them in a pen or anything. I have seen more than my share of naked people. It is disturbing, but after a while you don't realize it. So far it might sound pretty rough, but I LOVE IT! The people are so nice. They always say hi and yell things at us that we don't understand. They speak a language called Fante. It's like nothing I've ever heard. We try to find English speaking investigators, or else we don't get very far.
Now I will tell you about my first week of teaching. The first day I was scared and really freaked out, but I got over it. I helped teach a few lessons as the week went on and have learned to communicate pretty well with the people. My very 1st lesson I sat and listened to my companion teach. Then he gave it to me and said "now my companion will teach you." I taught about God is our loving Heavenly Father and Families. I can't recall what i said, but I know the words weren't mine. The Lord was surely speaking through me by the Gift of the Holy Ghost. It was a feeling I will never forget. Slowly I have been getting better at teaching and now my comp and me teach about the same amount. It is hard, hard work but I know it will come with time and study. I'm doing my best.
I had my first Zone Conference today. It was one amazing and powerful meeting. Pres. and Sister Sabey are so powerful. He is like crazy genius and so smart! One of the most spiritual men I've met in my life.
I know now with all my heart that the Book of Mormon is true. That it is the word of God. That through it we will come to know Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Father more personally. We will become more like our Savior and Redeemer. The church is true. There is no doubt in my mind. I know for myself now. It is the greatest feeling to know, and not to just believe. I love you and miss you. You are the best Father in the world.
Love, Elder Adams

Miles,
My big, but little brother. How is life? I'm in Ghana now, it's a sweet place man. The people are so nice and friendly. They love white people and the kids think we are the best thing ever. They just run up to us and touch us cuz we
re white......Also stay away from girls, they are trouble. "You have to serve a mission before you have permission!" (form the book of Elder Adams) Never forget that! More important, read the B of M now! I didn't and now I am paying for it. Listen in seminary and mark your scriptures. It will be a blessing when you are on your mission, so read and study often. Next pray morning and night. If you do anything do these two things. It will be a blessing in the future. Don't pass up the opportunity to prepare now! I want you to know the church is true and the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is a source of revelation.\, so use it man. I love you and know you love me back, you don't have to say it:) Remember who you are!
Much love,
bro/Elder Adams

1 comment:

  1. I love my brother! I cried both times I read these letters. They were awesome!

    ReplyDelete